We have decided (now...we are going against Dave on this) to continue making more than the minimum payments on my loans but are going to put a lot of our extra money into savings for two reasons. The first, Cal's car is just about shot so we want to be able to buy him a reliable vehicle in CASH. Secondly, we would really really REALLY like to move out of this apartment when our lease is up into a house so we are saving for a down payment. As much as I would absolutely love for the loan payment to disappear, I think for the point we are at in our life we are doing pretty well.
As you can tell, I love me some Dave Ramsey :) But I want to share that the Lord has truly taught me that he is our ultimate provider through the last 6 months of this budget. There were some weeks when our envelopes were getting pretty empty and I was worried about if we had enough to fill-up our gas tanks until our next envelope "fill-up" or how I would feed my "hollow-legged" husband with the small cash that was left, but we always had food on the table (maybe not as much as Cal would like...after all he is about quantity not quality). I have seen myself depend on my Savior, clinging to his promises to provide for us, and seeking him through prayer more frequently in the last 6 months that the other 23 1/2 years of my life.
So I know many of you think we are absolutely crazy (sometimes I think we are too) and many days I am so ready to throw in the towel on this budget, but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.

I completely agree with you! And am so happy that you only have your student loans left! Good job!
ReplyDeleteYes, good job! I wish I knew about Dave Ramsey's plan when I was your age! Also glad to hear that it has brought your closer to the Lord. Love you both!
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you both. Great job and Wonderful God!
ReplyDeleteHi Micah : ) I very much appreciate your post today! Not that I would wish a tight budget on anyone...but it is comforting to know we aren't the only ones dealing with it! Thanks for sharing : ) Hope you're both doing well!
ReplyDeleteyou go girl! isn't it a great feeling to KNOW god's hand has been on you? we too went through the dave ramsey classes last winter. little did we know that kyle would be laid off for 6 months out of 2009! he definitely equipped us with what we needed to know and we made it through. {not without some hard times, but we made it!} keep it up. you are not crazy....you are smart!
ReplyDeleteKudos to you for following Dave Ramsey so early in your marriage- that is amazing! I heard of him after buying a house with a huge mortgage! Great job!
ReplyDeleteI love it!! And I have got to say.. I love the envelope system.. it really makes life less stressful!
ReplyDelete